From Brion Vibber <bvib...@wikimedia.org>
Subject Re: [Android] Android versioning phase-out (2.1 and 3.x)??
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 21:22:31 GMT
On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, if we remove support for Honeycomb and Eclair and stick to Froyo,
> Gingerbread, ICS and Jellybean, we should be able to eliminate most of
> our pain points, and only not support 5.8% of Android users.  I don't
> know if this is acceptable, and whether we should continue supporting
> 2.1 and 3.x forever, but given that we deprecated support for 1.x, I
> think there's precedent for it.

I would not mind dropping 2.1; our apps for Wikipedia have been 2.2+ anyway
due to breakages in the 2.1 browser.

3/3.2 would be slightly sad to miss only because there are Honeycomb
tablets that haven't received ICS updates, including my Galaxy Tab 10.1 but
... let's be honest there's not a lot of them out there. I'm not sure how
to blacklist those particular versions in the AndroidManifest however while
still being compatible with 2.2/2.3...

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com / bvibber @ wikimedia.org)