From Brion Vibber <bvib...@wikimedia.org>
Subject Re: Time to own the camera?
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 18:56:56 GMT
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:

> We're getting a lot of people complaining about the camera crashing
> and the lifecycle issues.  Now, I've tried using the built in
> WebView.restoreState methods, and all I have gotten is a crashing
> application, so I'm thinking that it might be time that we owned the
> camera again.   I'm willing to do the work on this one, but I want to
> know if people think this is a good idea, or whether we should just
> shunt this to plugin developers again and hope they don't abandon it.
>
> Any thoughts?

Our 'Wiki Loves Monuments' photo-upload app has run into a lot of OOM
crashes on Android when using the camera, and these are terribly hard to
debug -- we can't even reproduce them reliably on our own devices, and it's
unclear what we can do about them.

(We're using FILE_URI not DATA_URI, and in most cases shouldn't be
triggering much processing of the images, but we get crashes in the bitmap
read in the camera return handler code sometimes.)

If there's a solid solution in using an in-app camera screen, I would
strongly welcome it.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com / bvibber @ wikimedia.org)