From Michal Mocny <mmo...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: [Android] Android versioning phase-out (2.1 and 3.x)??
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:51:12 GMT
According to http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html 3.x
has around 2.1% market share, which is not insignificant.

However, according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Android_devices the only *popular
* devices that haven't been upgraded to 4.x yet are the initial samsung
galaxy tabs, and those are dated devices now and it is widely rumored they
may also see updates to 4.x (wishful thinking?)

Anyway, I had a galaxy tab 10, and I think cordova support is the least of
its problems ;)

Big +1 on deprecating 3.x from me.

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:

> Pre-emptive deprecation! I like it!
>
> On 9/18/12 11:27 AM, "Andrew Grieve" <agrieve@chromium.org> wrote:
>
> >I think if we're waiting 6 months, it would be good to deprecate 3.x now.
> >That way in 6 months if we want to drop it, we can.
> >

> >On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> OK, How about we do the following:
> >>
> >> 1. Announce that 2.1 will be dropped six months from now, as per our
> >> deprecation policy
> >> 2. Keep support for Android 3.x for the time being and watch to see
> >> the percentages drop
> >>
> >> Honestly, I think our deprecation policy is far too long, but given
> >> how it was created, I understand the reason for it.  What do people
> >> think?
> >>
> >> Joe

> >> device,
> >>I've