From Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for a new Plugin.execute() signature on Android
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 14:56:20 GMT
Michal - Yep, good summary, that's exactly the case.
Simon - totally agree. I'll change what I've got to add a second executeV2
which takes in a JSONArray, and have the String-based one just call that.

The reason to need an executeV2 is threading, so I'll focus on that.

My biggest gripe against the current signature, is that it defaults to
running things on a background thread. I expect most calls will be fast
enough to execute inline, some calls to need to run on the UI thread, and
then only some to require doing a lot of work on a background thread.
Furthermore, those that do require a background would often benefit from
doing some param/state checking on the calling thread before moving to the
background thread.

I wouldn't be proposing a new signature if there was a way to change
isSync() from defaulting to false to defaulting to true, but I don't think
that's a safe thing to change.

On iOS, plugins execute on the calling thread and it's up to them to
dispatch background threads if they need them.

Michal pointed out that you can't comment on a diff in github, so I opened
a pull request with the patch to enable commenting:
https://github.com/agrieve/incubator-cordova-android/commit/a73dffc99847b14031c1138611bb8772dc9d7b7e

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Simon MacDonald <simon.macdonald@gmail.com