From Michael Brooks <mich...@michaelbrooks.ca>
Subject Re: Globalization Plugin
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:40:35 GMT
TLDR; I'd like to see the Globalization plugin added to Apache Cordova.
It's popular, useful, and battle tested. However, it's not fair to weigh
down all of the unsupported platforms without their buy-in. It also needs
to have the test suite re-written with Jasmine.

When Apache Cordova adopts a plugin, there are a few points that we should
consider:

1. Follows a W3C standard... when there is a standard.

I've done a brief scan, but can't find any W3C standards around
globalization / localization. Has anyone else found anything?

2. Supports all of our platforms.

Adopting a plugin is an additional maintenance cost for each platform. By
officially adopting a plugin, we're making a promise that the plugin will
work on all of our platforms.

At the moment, the Globalization plugin appears to support Android. iOS,
and BlackBerry (Java). This means we're dumping a load of work on platform
leads to add support for BlackBerry (Air), Bada, webOS, and WP7.

3. Has tests written with Jasmine.

Every plugin needs to have tests written in our standard test runner -
Jasmine. It's awesome that the Globalization plugin has tests written, but
they are currently in QUnit. Someone will need to convert these to Jasmine.

Michael