From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Android] loadUrl, input methods and making the web a thread-safe place
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2012 16:22:51 GMT
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org> wrote:
> Calling the private sendMessages() to eval JS doesn't have the same with
> dismissing the keyboard, although it's quite possible that it will have
> other bugs. If nothing else, I think it would be neat to add it as
> togglable options so devs can try it out and see if it causes any bugs.
> Another risk is that the added WEBKIT_DRAW that seems to be required will
> make it slower than other options.
>
> Instead of online/offline events, we could turn polling on when a textbox
> is focused and turn it off when it blurs. This might increase typing lag
> though... I'm also not how straight-forward it is to detect if the keyboard
> is active due to ContentEditable.
>
> Joe, I'm sure you looked at this when it came up with the 2.3 emulator, but
> is there a way to detect that you're in the emulator?

That's not as simple as it sounds, we have to check which emulator its
running.  I'm sure the emulator has device information in it and we
can grab that using our existing device API.  Of course, I didn't do
this because there may be that crappy knock-off phone out there that
also runs JSC as its Javascript Engine. We created the fix with the
assumption that there were these Chinese OEMs who may be creating
cheap, crappy phones which may be using JSC instead of V8 for their
Javascript Engines and that these OEMs would use Gingerbread.

BTW: We haven't seen a real phone running 2.3 with JSC as its
Javascript Engine.  It is plausible, but it would fail the Google
Tests.

Joe