From Simon MacDonald <simon.macdon...@gmail.com>
Subject [Op Onion] How Apple Killed the Linux Desktop
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 14:21:11 GMT
So this is an interesting piece with Miguel de Icaza on why GNOME lost out
not only to Apple's OS X but other Linux window managers.

*And he thinks the real reason Linux lost is that developers started
> defecting to OS X because the developers behind the toolkits used to build
> graphical Linux applications didn’t do a good enough job ensuring backward
> compatibility between different versions of their APIs. “For many years, we
> broke people’s code,” he says. “OS X did a much better job of ensuring
> backward compatibility.”*

Just something we should continue to be mindful for as we rush into the
future.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/08/osx-killed-linux/

Simon Mac Donald
http://hi.im/simonmacdonald