From Brion Vibber <br...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Globalization Plugin
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:48:16 GMT
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Michael Brooks
<michael@michaelbrooks.ca>wrote:

> 1. Follows a W3C standard... when there is a standard.
>
> I've done a brief scan, but can't find any W3C standards around
> globalization / localization. Has anyone else found anything?

I don't think there really is much standardish, other than the current
language being set in navigator.language and local date formats being
output by Date.

For our usage in Wikipedia's apps, just getting the current language code
is all we use Globalization for -- navigator.language is hardcoded to
English on Android, making it unusable.

A more limited plugin that only fetches the locale language (and perhaps
overrides navigator.language?) would do what we need and might not add much
burden on other platforms, especially if they already implement
navigator.language correctly. The other stuff is gravy if it's available
though!

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com / bvibber @ wikimedia.org)