From Kevin Hawkins <>
Subject RE: [Op Onion] How Apple Killed the Linux Desktop
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:31:42 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon MacDonald []
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:21 AM
Subject: [Op Onion] How Apple Killed the Linux Desktop

So this is an interesting piece with Miguel de Icaza on why GNOME lost out not only to Apple's
OS X but other Linux window managers.

*And he thinks the real reason Linux lost is that developers started
> defecting to OS X because the developers behind the toolkits used to
> build graphical Linux applications didn't do a good enough job
> ensuring backward compatibility between different versions of their
> APIs. "For many years, we broke people's code," he says. "OS X did a
> much better job of ensuring backward compatibility."*

Just something we should continue to be mindful for as we rush into the future.

Simon Mac Donald

View raw message