From Kevin Hawkins <khawk...@salesforce.com>
Subject RE: [Op Onion] How Apple Killed the Linux Desktop
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:31:42 GMT
+19

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon MacDonald [mailto:simon.macdonald@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:21 AM
To: callback-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [Op Onion] How Apple Killed the Linux Desktop

So this is an interesting piece with Miguel de Icaza on why GNOME lost out not only to Apple's
OS X but other Linux window managers.

*And he thinks the real reason Linux lost is that developers started
> defecting to OS X because the developers behind the toolkits used to
> build graphical Linux applications didn't do a good enough job
> ensuring backward compatibility between different versions of their
> APIs. "For many years, we broke people's code," he says. "OS X did a
> much better job of ensuring backward compatibility."*

Just something we should continue to be mindful for as we rush into the future.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/08/osx-killed-linux/

Simon Mac Donald
http://hi.im/simonmacdonald