From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ATTN MENTOR] Re: DISCUSS: Ripple as a sub-project of Cordova
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2012 13:53:23 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On Jul 26, 2012 9:29 PM, "Filip Maj" <fil@adobe.com> wrote:
>> Ross, I would love to become more familiar with the specific reasoning,
>> when you have time to share
>
> I figured I wouldn't get away with that one ;-)
>
> I'll collect some resources in the next few days (unless Jukka can recall a
> useful existing document describing the history of Jakarta)

I think much of the related history is spread across multiple mailing
lists, some private, and I don't recall any good postmortem having
been written. Basically the problem in Jakarta and some other
"umbrella" projects in Apache has been that the PMC that's supposed to
oversee what's going on in a project simply doesn't scale up to
multiple active subprojects. Echoes of this dilemma can be seen in the
Jakarta PMC restructuring draft [1] from 2003/4. See also the Jakarta
board reports and especially the related comments by the ASF board for
more background.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/JakartaPMCPropsedChanges

BR,

Jukka Zitting