From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Cordova 1.9.0 release vote
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 23:48:55 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
>> Instead of using a script to produce the source archive, why don't we
>> simply "git archive" the relevant tags of each cordova repository,
>> sign and checksum them, and release the results?
>
> the main reason is developer ergonomics; the repos are setup to work
> on cordova...

That's all the more reason to release the code as-is instead of in any
pre-processed form. Let me explain:

The primary purpose of an open source project is to release *source
code*, and we should do so using a format that makes the most sense to
developers working on it.

We can also make pre-built binaries and other build artifacts
available based on the source code we release, but it must be possible
for anyone to generate such artifacts with nothing but the source
release and relevant build instructions. That's the bit I'm most
concerned about. Can I take the 1.9.0 source zip and build the other
release artifacts from it? I believe I can (otherwise I wouldn't have
voted +1) since I've read the coho script in detail, but that's IMHO a
pretty complex, fragile and hard to understand set of build
instructions.

Don't get me wrong, coho is a valuable tool! IMHO it should be a *part
of* Cordova releases, not the tooling to generate them. That way our
build instructions for a source release would simply boil down to
invoking the included coho script and letting it do all the hard work
of figuring out what to build and how.

BR,

Jukka Zitting