From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DISCUSS: Ripple as a sub-project of Cordova
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 17:03:04 GMT
Hi,

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 30 July 2012 22:18, Gord Tanner <gord@tinyhippos.com <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> >  Our main goal for Ripple being in the ASF is to try to build community
> > around it and get the cordova / mobile web app developer bases behind it
> > and able to contribute to it without the "This belongs to RIM" mindset we
> > are getting now.
>
> That's a very good start ;-)

+1

The broader community goal is best served by being a separate podling.
> The narrower Cordova goal might be better served by being a
> sub-project and, as Jukka said, you can always spin-out of Cordova as
> a TLP later.

Or vice versa, if Ripple on its own doesn't end up attracting a community
beyond that of Cordova, it's also possible to "spin-in" later to a Cordova
subproject.

Based on the discussion so far it sounds like Ripple has the makings of a
great Apache project also on its own, especially with co-operation and some
committer overlap with Cordova.

> > This may be getting off topic now for the cordova mailing lists so who
> do I
> > talk to from ASF to start setting up the donation of Ripple?
>
> First off you need a Champion. Their role is to help guide you through
> the proposal process which is described at [1]. The role of champion
> is defined at [2]

You'll also need some Apache mentors to help once you get started. I'd be
happy to volunteer.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

> > Gord
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Ross Gardler
> > <rgardler@opendirective.com>wrote:

> >> IMHO such lists don't (often) make sense. Jukka made the suggestion
> >> using Hadoop as an example of a consortium of projects. However, there
> >> is (to my knowledge - Jukka will correct me if I'm wrong) no such list
> >> for Hadoop.
> >>
> >> What topics would need to be discussed on a general mailing list
> >> between the two projects which could not be adequately carried out on
> >> the more focused project list?
> >>
> >> Unless there is a very surprising answer to the above question, the
> >> way I see it the options are...
> >>
> >>   - Ripple as a sub-project of Cordova with all development on
> >> cordova-dev (potential for too much non-cordova discussion) - example
> >> lucene and friends
> >>
> >>   - Ripple as a new podling with all development on ripple-dev and
> >> cordova-dev (interested cordova and ripple devs cross-subscribe) -
> >> example hadoop and friends
> >>
> >> Remember, this is only my opinion based on my observations of what
> >> works in the ASF today - the ASF is a flexible place. Changes to old
> >> approaches can be adopted when good reason to do so is presented.
> >>
> >> Ross

> APIs)
> >> but
> idea of