From Simon MacDonald <>
Subject Re: incubator-cordova-mobile-spec pull request: Changed file and all autotest p...
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 12:59:48 GMT
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Filip Maj <> wrote:
> Why do I bring this up with the list? Well, I need platform testing help,
> of course :). In actuality, I'm fearing that running the equivalent of "rm
> -rf ./*" under the root of the returned TEMPORARY and PERSISTENT file
> system directories via the Cordova APIs may be a bad idea. Like, does
> PERSISTENT/TEMPORARY return the equivalent of any shared file system space
> on any of our platforms (/sdcard on Android, or /Documents on iOS)?
> If so: we need to fix this. In Android and BlackBerry we have concepts of
> application sandboxes - our File APIs should use this space, that is,
> requestFileSystem should route to these safe, application-only spaces. I'm
> hoping iOS and Windows Phone 7 have a similar concept as well (and all of
> our other budding platforms, too). I would suggest that if application
> developers need to get at the device file system outside of these
> application jails or sandboxes (for example, shared spaces like /Documents
> or whatnot) to use window.resolveLocalFileSystemURI and pass in path
> strings that correlate to these shared spaces.

Yup, I don't disagree and didn't disagree back when we started talking
about this on the mailing list back in February.

My only concern about the change is we need to let people know in
plenty of time to change their application. There is even an open JIRA
ticket on this

Simon Mac Donald

View raw message