From Simon MacDonald <simon.macdon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: incubator-cordova-mobile-spec pull request: Changed file and all autotest p...
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 12:59:48 GMT
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:

> Why do I bring this up with the list? Well, I need platform testing help,
> of course :). In actuality, I'm fearing that running the equivalent of "rm
> -rf ./*" under the root of the returned TEMPORARY and PERSISTENT file
> system directories via the Cordova APIs may be a bad idea. Like, does
> PERSISTENT/TEMPORARY return the equivalent of any shared file system space
> on any of our platforms (/sdcard on Android, or /Documents on iOS)?
>
> If so: we need to fix this. In Android and BlackBerry we have concepts of
> application sandboxes - our File APIs should use this space, that is,
> requestFileSystem should route to these safe, application-only spaces. I'm
> hoping iOS and Windows Phone 7 have a similar concept as well (and all of
> our other budding platforms, too). I would suggest that if application
> developers need to get at the device file system outside of these
> application jails or sandboxes (for example, shared spaces like /Documents
> or whatnot) to use window.resolveLocalFileSystemURI and pass in path
> strings that correlate to these shared spaces.

Yup, I don't disagree and didn't disagree back when we started talking
about this on the mailing list back in February.

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-callback-dev/201202.mbox/%3CCAM1AYQAKphbKQ7tkPNucM6EjEVa=N=cSDGiFjdoceMFbfvjnPw@mail.gmail.com%3E

My only concern about the change is we need to let people know in
plenty of time to change their application. There is even an open JIRA
ticket on this https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-320?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel

Simon Mac Donald
http://hi.im/simonmacdonald