From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [ATTN MENTOR] Re: DISCUSS: Ripple as a sub-project of Cordova
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 14:49:59 GMT
On 30 July 2012 22:18, Gord Tanner <gord@tinyhippos.com> wrote:
> What are the community requirements for ASF?

Entry into the incubator has no requirements other than a genuine
desire to build a diverse community.

Exit requires that you have demonstrated that the project environment
is either diverse or is run in such a way as to encourage diversity.
How this is measured varies from person to person. Some people like to
see a minimum number of contributors from different employers. Many
others just want to be convinced the project is a meritocracy. In
general as long as you have demonstrated an ability to identify,
welcome and assist potential new contributors things are good. Of
course, there are other more practical graduation requirements related
to licenses and so on.

> Ripple right now has a rather small community behind it (3 people core at
> RIM) and a few forks out in the wild that haven't been merged back in yet.

A focus on the appropriate forks would be the kind of thing we'd be
looking at. The ASF does not interfere with the technical objectives
of the project, but where forks exist we'd want to see a proper
evaluation and, if appropriate, an attempt to integrate the effort
into the core project.

>  Our main goal for Ripple being in the ASF is to try to build community
> around it and get the cordova / mobile web app developer bases behind it
> and able to contribute to it without the "This belongs to RIM" mindset we
> are getting now.

That's a very good start ;-)

The broader community goal is best served by being a separate podling.
The narrower Cordova goal might be better served by being a
sub-project and, as Jukka said, you can always spin-out of Cordova as
a TLP later.

I've snipped the bit where you conclude it might be better go be a
separate project, but if any Cordova contributors feel they need to
make an additional case for being a sub-project now is the time.

> This may be getting off topic now for the cordova mailing lists so who do I
> talk to from ASF to start setting up the donation of Ripple?

First off you need a Champion. Their role is to help guide you through
the proposal process which is described at [1]. The role of champion
is defined at [2]

A champion needs to be an Officer or Member of the foundation.
Officers are listed at [3] and members interested in the incubator
hang around the general@incubator.apache.org list. If you already have
a relationship with any of these people then approach them directly.
If you don't have anyone in mind then drop me a private mail and I'll
think of some potential candidates (private because the candidates
might not be interested rather than because it is sensitive).

Ross

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html
[3] http://www.apache.org/foundation/index.html