From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [ATTN MENTOR] Re: DISCUSS: Ripple as a sub-project of Cordova
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:04:33 GMT
On 30 July 2012 14:53, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Ross Gardler
> <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 26, 2012 9:29 PM, "Filip Maj" <fil@adobe.com> wrote:
>>> Ross, I would love to become more familiar with the specific reasoning,
>>> when you have time to share
>>
>> I figured I wouldn't get away with that one ;-)
>>
>> I'll collect some resources in the next few days (unless Jukka can recall a
>> useful existing document describing the history of Jakarta)
>
> I think much of the related history is spread across multiple mailing
> lists, some private, and I don't recall any good postmortem having
> been written. Basically the problem in Jakarta and some other
> "umbrella" projects in Apache has been that the PMC that's supposed to
> oversee what's going on in a project simply doesn't scale up to
> multiple active subprojects. Echoes of this dilemma can be seen in the
> Jakarta PMC restructuring draft [1] from 2003/4. See also the Jakarta
> board reports and especially the related comments by the ASF board for
> more background.

Thanks Jukka (thanks also for making this bubble to the top of my
inbox again)...

I've not collected resources on this yet, but interested parties could
look at one of my old slide-decks [2] specifically slides 14-19. There
is very little detail here but what is there provides some context for
Jukka's comments above.

Feel free to fire questions at me (us?) relating to this. Like Jukka
says it's never really been documented (clearly documenting "failure"
points is always difficult as there are so many conflicting views).

Ross

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/JakartaPMCPropsedChanges
[2] http://www.slideshare.net/bosc2010/gardler-bosc2010-communitydevelopmentattheasf

--