From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [ATTN MENTOR] Re: DISCUSS: Ripple as a sub-project of Cordova
Date Sun, 22 Jul 2012 17:19:12 GMT
On 22 July 2012 10:02, Laurent Hasson <lhasson@rim.com> wrote:
> Ross,
>
> I had suggested that because of my prior involvement many years ago with the Lucene project
and its sub-project structure including Solr.
>The reason for the thinking though was simply that Ripple would have a strong "Cordova"
support in terms of API emulation and relate closely to that project. We can of course discuss
this in the community to figure out the best option. Any reason why sub-projects are frowned
upon?

If it *only* uses Cordova then that might make sense. But from a quick
scan of the documentation it would appear that it supports other
frameworks too. From a  community development point of view putting it
into Cordova limits the potential audience significantly. I'd
therefore suggest thinking carefully about where the right home is.
Dropping it into Cordova will make creation of the project a little
simpler (although the legal sign-off will still need to be done and in
most large companies that is the hardest part). However, as I said,
dropping it into Cordova is likely to limit opportunities for
community development.

> As for the statement "the entire company is focused on our BB10 delivery", it was meant
only to highlight that moving Ripple to Apache may take a bit longer to do as a result, not
that there was any less commitment to Ripple from our site. Quite the contrary.

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.

Ross

> Thank You
> - LDH (Laurent Hasson)                         -
> - Technical Director, BlackBerry Web Platform  -
> - Research In Motion                           -
> - Email: lhasson@rim.com                       -
> - Mobile: 646-460-7066                         -
> - Twitter: @ldhasson                           -
> "Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government"
- Dennis

and may be unlawful.

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)