incubator-callback-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Shazron <shaz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [iOS] Postponement of ARC support in 2.0
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2012 22:01:24 GMT
Alright, let's move ARC support for 2.1/2.2 then? How's that sound?

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 7:34 AM, Becky Gibson <gibson.becky@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can see pushing off ARC for 2.0 due to the changes required for plugins.
>  Although, if plugins are going to have to change significantly for 2.0 it
> might be better off to do all of the changes at once rather than later.
>  But, I'm also willing to put off 2.0 rather than explicitly tying it to
> PhoneGap day.  I'd rather see a feature complete 2.0 than something that
> was hurried to make the date.
>
> I am a bit concerned about putting it off until the fall as I have already
> done a significant amount of work on this (
> https://github.com/becka11y/incubator-cordova-ios/tree/ARC) and keeping it
> in sync for several months will be tedious.  It was in sync with master as
> of late last week, I haven't had a chance to work on it this week.
>
> If we do decide to wait until the release of iOS 6 then I think we should
> seriously consider also only supporting iOS 5.0 and above.   There are
> still some quirks with iOS 4.2 support and ARC that could be avoided if we
> only suport 5.0 and above.   If we do still want to support 4.2 then I
> think we should convert to ARC sooner than the fall.
>
> -becky
>
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "PhoneGap Day" (July 20) is fast approaching and that is coinciding
>> with the release of 2.0. ARC support is slated for 2.0.
>>
>> ARC (Automatic Reference Counting) is a huge change and I believe we
>> need more time to test and work out the kinks, which there will be
>> lots, guaranteed. Upgrade includes:
>>
>>     1. Upgrading their current project. Medium risk - this will
>> involve not using the .framework, but using the sub-project. We have
>> upgrade instructions already, just need to tweak it.
>>     2. Upgrading their plugins. High risk, since if plugins are NOT
>> ARC ready (conditional compilation pre-processor macros), they will
>> need to add a linker flag in their Build Phase for their plugin files.
>> This is where most things will go wrong.
>>
>> I propose postponing ARC support to a later release to coincide with
>> the release of iOS 6 by Apple (the Fall - most likely with the iPhone
>> 5 release), but in the meantime we communicate through blog posts and
>> such this upcoming change. Pushing this huge change for a significant
>> release (2.0) in this short time frame I don't believe is best for
>> devs using Cordova, not without a longer test period (this summer).
>>

Mime
View raw message