From Becky Gibson <gibson.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [iOS] Postponement of ARC support in 2.0
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:34:55 GMT
I can see pushing off ARC for 2.0 due to the changes required for plugins.
 Although, if plugins are going to have to change significantly for 2.0 it
might be better off to do all of the changes at once rather than later.
 But, I'm also willing to put off 2.0 rather than explicitly tying it to
PhoneGap day.  I'd rather see a feature complete 2.0 than something that
was hurried to make the date.

I am a bit concerned about putting it off until the fall as I have already
done a significant amount of work on this (
https://github.com/becka11y/incubator-cordova-ios/tree/ARC) and keeping it
in sync for several months will be tedious.  It was in sync with master as
of late last week, I haven't had a chance to work on it this week.

If we do decide to wait until the release of iOS 6 then I think we should
seriously consider also only supporting iOS 5.0 and above.   There are
still some quirks with iOS 4.2 support and ARC that could be avoided if we
only suport 5.0 and above.   If we do still want to support 4.2 then I
think we should convert to ARC sooner than the fall.

-becky