incubator-callback-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Becky Gibson <>
Subject Re: [iOS] Postponement of ARC support in 2.0
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:34:55 GMT
I can see pushing off ARC for 2.0 due to the changes required for plugins.
 Although, if plugins are going to have to change significantly for 2.0 it
might be better off to do all of the changes at once rather than later.
 But, I'm also willing to put off 2.0 rather than explicitly tying it to
PhoneGap day.  I'd rather see a feature complete 2.0 than something that
was hurried to make the date.

I am a bit concerned about putting it off until the fall as I have already
done a significant amount of work on this ( and keeping it
in sync for several months will be tedious.  It was in sync with master as
of late last week, I haven't had a chance to work on it this week.

If we do decide to wait until the release of iOS 6 then I think we should
seriously consider also only supporting iOS 5.0 and above.   There are
still some quirks with iOS 4.2 support and ARC that could be avoided if we
only suport 5.0 and above.   If we do still want to support 4.2 then I
think we should convert to ARC sooner than the fall.


On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Shazron <> wrote:

> "PhoneGap Day" (July 20) is fast approaching and that is coinciding
> with the release of 2.0. ARC support is slated for 2.0.
> ARC (Automatic Reference Counting) is a huge change and I believe we
> need more time to test and work out the kinks, which there will be
> lots, guaranteed. Upgrade includes:
>     1. Upgrading their current project. Medium risk - this will
> involve not using the .framework, but using the sub-project. We have
> upgrade instructions already, just need to tweak it.
>     2. Upgrading their plugins. High risk, since if plugins are NOT
> ARC ready (conditional compilation pre-processor macros), they will
> need to add a linker flag in their Build Phase for their plugin files.
> This is where most things will go wrong.
> I propose postponing ARC support to a later release to coincide with
> the release of iOS 6 by Apple (the Fall - most likely with the iPhone
> 5 release), but in the meantime we communicate through blog posts and
> such this upcoming change. Pushing this huge change for a significant
> release (2.0) in this short time frame I don't believe is best for
> devs using Cordova, not without a longer test period (this summer).

  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message