From Brian>
Subject Re: [iOS] Postponement of ARC support in 2.0
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 19:17:17 GMT
Agree, this will be a whole lot easier to figure out in a F2F over
beers but obviously will bring everything back to the list to make any
final decisions. (That said if anyone here wants a ticket to just hit me up off list so we can get you

One thing I'd like to add: cadence has nothing to do w/ deprecation
policy. Shipping on a regular heartbeat is a completely different
concern from the actual artifacts being shipped.

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Patrick Mueller <> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Filip Maj <> wrote:
>> Timing is an interesting question that keeps coming back up, tying back to
>> our deprecation policy and our versioning approach. If we are going with
>> our current deprecation policy (time-based, 6 months or so), then this is
>> at odds with the combination of a) our release cadence and b) users'
>> expectation of semantic version, I.e. Breaking changes landing in major
>> revisions. If we release a point revision every month, this means we have
>> (worst case) 10 (or 12, depends on how many point revisions we have in a
>> major release) months between when we can land breaking changes. 6 month
>> dep policy vs. anywhere from 1 to 10 months of next major release =
>> something's gotta give.
> As the person who brought up the "split stream" suggestion months ago,
> which IIRC was liked by no one but me :-( , have we considered even/odd
> versioning [1], like what node does? (tip: it's the same thing I suggested
> before, just a different name :-) )
> We need both:
> - the freedom to break APIs (odd versions)
> - a stable platform for our customers (even versions)
> Perhaps we can noodle on that, and other approaches, before next week, when
> some of us are able to wrastle over it in meat-space.
> [1]
> --
> Patrick Mueller

View raw message