From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] 2.x roadmap planning / first pass at api audit
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2012 18:38:16 GMT
So, interestingly the Node dudes have expressed they are ok w/ us
experimenting w/ the npm registry for our plugin-discovery mechanism.
This is really great news as that it saves us from having to bikeshed
the service api, user auth, tech choices, etc. Our CLI tooling is
already Node so reuse w/ the npm library will be straightforward.

We can bootstrap on top of registry.npmjs.org which is really just an
Apache CouchDB instance (yay) which means that the system is
effectively federated by its technical nature, which is to say, that
anyone can run a registry (which likely we will see happen; speaking
for Adobe I know we will want to host officially sanctioned plugins
for the phonegap dist).

So this is good stuff. We are actually not far from plugin discovery,
creation, validation, publication, installation, and removal!

It is not without some irony that this also means our plugin packaging
format will be package.json ---which really has bad symmetry with our
current config/manifest file being config.xml. (I think its fine, for
now, but something we should discuss.)

Fil/Anis: need to drop the new CLI prototype into labs (soon?)

Bryce: super agree on new APIs being a bit sketchy in their early
phases. Another win for this plugin reality is that we remove a whole
tonne of responsibility from the core cordova codebase and can start
getting super funky with our API experimentation.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Bryce Curtis <curtis.bryce@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the near-term looks fine.  What I consider most important on
> the list are the plug-in metafiles and config files.  A close second
> would be the plug-in management tools that will consume/produce these
> files.  With that said, we probably won't be using the command line
> tools, so having the metafiles well documented will be important.

> As for adding new APIs, I would only caution against implementing
> early specs that change frequently - lessons learned from the
> contacts, device and other APIs.   One thing to consider is that the
> more plug-ins we ship with Cordova, the more we have to maintain &
> test for each release... and that the goal should be to equally
> support functionality across the major platforms for each first-class
> plug-in.
>

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Michael Brooks
> <michael@michaelbrooks.ca> wrote:
>> The 2.x roadmap looks good.
>>
>> I've moved the "config manifest" under "Nearterm" because it should be
>> tackled at the same time as plugin-install / remove.
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Don Coleman <don.coleman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm interested in NFC.  Kevin Griffin and I wrote a phonegap-nfc
>>> plugin https://github.com/chariotsolutions/phonegap-nfc.  We plan on
>>> adding Tizen and WP8 support once we get the devices.

>>> several

>>> http://www.phonegap.com/2011/09/26/building-an-nfc-enabled-android-application-with-phonegap/
>>> ),

>>> https://developer.tizen.org/help/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.tizen.help.web.api.device%2Ftizen%2Fnfc.html