From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [iOS] Postponement of ARC support in 2.0
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 19:46:51 GMT
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:

> Agree, this will be a whole lot easier to figure out in a F2F over
> beers but obviously will bring everything back to the list to make any
> final decisions.

Of course.

> One thing I'd like to add: cadence has nothing to do w/ deprecation
> policy. Shipping on a regular heartbeat is a completely different
> concern from the actual artifacts being shipped.

Here's an example / generalization of cadence that you might see with an
even/odd release stream:

fixes/enhancements to stable that don't break API
    - version change: x.(even).z -> x.(even).(z+1)  eg, 2.0.0 -> 2.0.1
    - occur as needed, hopefully/presumably not often

monthly cadence for developers in dev stream
    - version change: x.(odd).z -> x.(odd).(z+1)  eg, 2.1.3 -> 2.1.4
    - every 4 weeks, or whatever

major release
    - version change: x.(odd).z -> x.(odd+1).0  eg, 2.1.42 -> 2.2.0
    - every so many months?

Presumably the version numbers have matching branches/tags in git, as
appropriate, for both even and odd releases.  Would be interesting to see
exactly how node does that (perusing their branches/tags right now ...)

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org