From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] 2.x roadmap planning / first pass at api audit
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2012 03:47:48 GMT
On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:

> So, interestingly the Node dudes have expressed they are ok w/ us
> experimenting w/ the npm registry for our plugin-discovery mechanism.
> This is really great news ...

I love being able to reuse the npm commands/structure for our plugins - one
less thing for us to invent.  But I don't think using a registry will work
in practice for our "built in" plugins.  The way I've pictured this is that
when you d/l a Cordova build, you get all our existing "built in" plugins
with the download.  And then you can add/remove from that set.  You should
also be able to add/remove from other places, and npmjs.org would be a
great place to move existing content to, that currently exists in
github/phonegap-plugins.

But maintaining the built-in plugins in npmjs.org seems like it's going to
be a bit of a pain to me.

> It is not without some irony that this also means our plugin packaging
> format will be package.json ---which really has bad symmetry with our
> current config/manifest file being config.xml. (I think its fine, for
> now, but something we should discuss.)

So, it's weird, having JSON and XML as "config files".  But frankly, having
XML files as "config files" just seems weirder every day to me.  :-)

As a final note, using "node package standards" means we can likely make
use of Browserify, for folks that want to optimize their JS, or otherwise
are happy with a "build" (like me).  Doing a build means I can put a single
script/src in my html, and then just do a build to concat all the modules
together.  And if you care, Browserify also includes some node-compatible
packages like events.

The one thing about using Browserify is that we'll need to allow for our
require() to be swapped out with Browserify's, as theirs is more complete
than ours.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org