incubator-callback-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [iOS] Postponement of ARC support in 2.0
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 18:41:21 GMT
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:

> Timing is an interesting question that keeps coming back up, tying back to
> our deprecation policy and our versioning approach. If we are going with
> our current deprecation policy (time-based, 6 months or so), then this is
> at odds with the combination of a) our release cadence and b) users'
> expectation of semantic version, I.e. Breaking changes landing in major
> revisions. If we release a point revision every month, this means we have
> (worst case) 10 (or 12, depends on how many point revisions we have in a
> major release) months between when we can land breaking changes. 6 month
> dep policy vs. anywhere from 1 to 10 months of next major release =
> something's gotta give.


As the person who brought up the "split stream" suggestion months ago,
which IIRC was liked by no one but me :-( , have we considered even/odd
versioning [1], like what node does? (tip: it's the same thing I suggested
before, just a different name :-) )

We need both:

- the freedom to break APIs (odd versions)
- a stable platform for our customers (even versions)

Perhaps we can noodle on that, and other approaches, before next week, when
some of us are able to wrastle over it in meat-space.

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning#Odd-numbered_versions_for_development_releases

-- 
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message