From Bryce Curtis <curtis.br...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: deprecation policy
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2012 18:04:17 GMT
I agree that deprecation doesn't have to be tied to a major release,
but we should definitely give enough advanced notice.  6 months is
arbitrary, but sounds like a reasonable period.  This carries the
caveat that the deprecated item is documented and known so it's not a
surprise to developers.  So, if we consider the deprecation of "ctx"
in Android plugin, it probably shouldn't be removed in 2.0, but in
whatever release falls after Nov.  This will minimize the pain to
plugin developers, who are an important segment of our "customers".

There may be instances where structural changes make it impossible to
maintain deprecated APIs for the entire 6 month time, but I would
consider this an exception and only if there's no way to maintain
both.