From Simon MacDonald <simon.macdon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Android Camera Woes
Date Sat, 16 Jun 2012 00:36:44 GMT
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:
> I have a few suggestions, but maybe not all of them would impact the
> problems you describe below:
>
> - get rid of DATA_URL. Canvas provides a built-in alternative to getting
> this data if necessary.

I think we should deprecate DATA_URL out of existence in 2.0. I should
start a vote on that. Using Canvas would be a good idea if the
toDataURL() method was actually implemented on Android. The other
alternative if folks want to read the image as base64 encoded data is
to use the FileReader so I really think DATA_URL should go.

> - get rid of any resizing. Users should be able to do this by dropping the
> picture file URI into an image tag and resizing the image tag as necessary.

I don't agree with that. If someone wants to show a 200x150 image in
there app but are forced to load a 2048x1536 that is pretty wasteful.
The image  data buffers are pretty poor and that is a lot of
processing to do in order to show an image. So, I still think we need
resizing but maybe done by scaling instead of by pixel size.

> - possibly consider eliminating quality as well.

I want quality dead. I'm going to talk to Vinnie and Guido down in the
east village tonight.

Simon Mac Donald
http://hi.im/simonmacdonald