From Shazron <shaz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Project Pender for inclusion in Cordova-labs
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2012 22:42:50 GMT
Hi Lorin,
First thing I believe is you need to sign and file the iCLA:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

I stole this from Michael Brooks:
"Before we can accept a code contribution, we need you to sign the Apache
CLA (contributor license agreement) [1].

If you're on a Mac, then you can use Preview to digitally sign the document
(Preview => Preferences => Signatures) and you use HelloFax [2] to fax the
document in a more modern way."

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Lorin Beer <lorin@adobe.com> wrote:

> Project Pender provides a hardware accelerated 2D graphics api wit JS hooks for mobile
devices. This provides a fast drawing context for platforms that lack hardware accelerated
Canvas drawing in the native browser.  Currently supported are Android, iOS, Blackberry and
Desktop Browser.

> The graphics api emulates the html5 Canvas api, allowing Pender client projects to run
on mobile or on desktop with the inclusion of a lightweight shim. No changes to the Pender
client project itself are required.

> I would like to propose including Pender under the cordova-labs repo.
>
> https://github.com/doggerelverse/incubator-cordova-labs
>
> Pender-android and Pender-desktop are the most developed, and are compatible with the
contents of Pender-demo/client example project.

> Pender-ios and Pender-blackberry are at an early 'proof-of-concept' phase, which means
the components are in place, but the Canvas api has not been implemented.

> The general architecture of a Pender implementation is:
>
>  *   embedded JS Engine
>    *   interprets pure JS in a DOMless execution environment
>    *   provides js hooks to the native implementation of the Canvas api
>  *   PenderCanvas
>    *   Native class, exposed to js engine through PenderJS
>    *   provides hardware accelerated 2D Canvas api
>  *   PenderJS
>    *   Native class, exposed to js engine
>    *   provides Canvas context
>    *   provides resource loading and communication with Native
>  *   pender.platform.js
>    *   platform specific js shim
>    *   imports native functionality (Rhino)
>    *   defines missing expected objects (console.log, etc)
>

> Pender has been developed as a standalone project, but Early testing indicated that Pender
is compatible with Cordova, and could be included as part of Cordova core, or as a separate
Plugin.