From Shazron <shaz...@gmail.com>
Subject UUID on other platforms
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2012 23:53:58 GMT
I've punted this suggestion for 1.9.0 but I'll put it up for further discussion:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-49?focusedCommentId=13292414&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13292414

What are the implications of UUID for Android, BB, and any others
(platform policy wise)? I see a WP7 quirk in the docs already.
Do we NEED this?

In iOS 6, Apple already provides [UIDevice identifierForVendor] and
[UIDevice identifierForAdvertising]. The latter changes when the
device is erased but is the functional equivalent of the old UDID. The
former is the same for devices from the same vendor on the same device
- different in all other cases.

This problem is kinda solved for iOS 6 but not previous platforms for
iOS. My suggestion is do what Apple says (which we are doing as
suggested in our iOS quirk for device.uuid
http://docs.phonegap.com/en/1.8.1/cordova_device_device.md.html#device.uuid)
then use [UIDevice identifierForAdvertising] when they are on iOS 6.