From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: [Android] Plugin.ctx needs a rename
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2012 22:06:02 GMT
ok, that makes sense! it isn't even a Context. ya, bad. kill. with. fire.

(and a deprecation notice)

maybe we leave it deprecated for a farther future date. I know it
doesn't conform to semantic versioning but I think it might be nicer
if all the plugins did work for 2.0

maybe, the policy should be not fixed to version number but rather a
rough date. if we deprecate something its gone in, lets arbitrarily
say, 6 months?

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Back when we first started working on plugins, a ctx was a context because
> that's what we needed.  Along the way, when
> we removed PhoneGapActivity and changed it to a CordovaInterface for an
> earlier implementation of CordovaWebView, we changed ctx to be an
> Interface.  The problem is that a CordovaInterface may not be an activity
> and this looks stupid:
>
> ctx.getContext()
>
> I tried in an earlier version of CordovaWebView to change this back to
> Context, but we decided that it should be an interface for some reason
> (although I don't remember the reason, something about breaking plugins I
> think), so since we can't make ctx a Context like what the convention is,
> we should conform to convention and call the CordovaInterface something
> descriptive like cordova since that will be less disruptive.
>
> So, yes, we've been kicking this can around the parking lot for a while.
>
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
>
>> cool w/ that, and of course I trust you, but can you explain the
>> problem with ctx, a familiar convention since the earliest days of
>> phonegap/android, so I understand the benefit of the proposed
>> solution?
>>
>> (breaking plugins will cause some backlash and, as I mentioned,
>> creating a more abstract interface does increase ramp up for new
>> native devs)
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Filip Maj <fil@adobe.com> wrote:
>> > Brian, we're doing Android devs (potential plugin authors) a favor here,
>> > trust me.
>> >
>> > 2.0 is our chance to break interfaces.
>> >
>> > Also, +1 to Bryce's comment re: get this change in for 1.9, deprecate the
>> > .ctx member in 1.9 as well, and axe it in 2.0.

>> parent

 The