From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Project Pender for inclusion in Cordova-labs
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2012 01:38:34 GMT
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Lorin Beer <lorin@adobe.com> wrote:

> Project Pender provides a hardware accelerated 2D graphics api wit JS
> hooks for mobile devices. This provides a fast drawing context for
> platforms that lack hardware accelerated Canvas drawing in the native
> browser.  Currently supported are Android, iOS, Blackberry and Desktop
> Browser.

Sounds very cool, but ... questions.

1) any other links to the Pender goo beyond your Github project (thx for
providing that, btw)?

2) the latency to get from native to the web view, or vice versa, is not
fantastic.  What are the impacts for the Pender APIs?

3) embedded JS engine.  Kinda weird using SpiderMonkey for iOS instead of
JSC, but ... who am I to judge.  Of course, Apple may judge.  Has this
shipped on the App Store yet?  I'm wondering though if we embedded JSC,
could we make use of the JIT where maybe we can't with UIWebView (seems
unlikely, JIT may need "mark this data as code" which maybe you can't do
from user-land code).

4) With the embedded JS engine, I guess you have to split your code between
the Pender stuff and your normal app stuff.  Seems like potentially a
confusing aspect for users, but obviously means you get to avoid the native
bridge latency (point 2).  I'm curious to see how

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org