From "Abu Obeida Bakhach (MS OPEN TECH)" <Abu.Obe...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [WP7] Passing more complex objects over the bridge
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2012 23:50:17 GMT
Created the bug here

-----Original Message-----
From: Filip Maj [mailto:fil@adobe.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:51 PM
To: callback-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [WP7] Passing more complex objects over the bridge

... Currently won't work. Basically the DataContractJsonSerializer .NET object that we employ
to parse JSON on the native side can't parse nested objects in JSON. The DataContract stuff
is supposed to make it easy to cast the various JSON values to .NET types. In the case of
a nested object with dynamic keys, that you can't model ahead of time, we tried using a Dictionary
type on the native side. This won't work [1].

This came up when deserializing FileTransfer upload options because they have a nested "params"
object that house dynamic &key=value URL parameters to send with the HTTP request. Not
sure if it happens in other spots.

Anywho, one potential solution is to explicitly convert nested objects such as these to a
dumber structure. In the SO thread [1] they suggest having an array of {key:"known1",value:"foo"}
pairs replace the objects.
The native side could parse that.

Another option is to use the JSON.net library [2]. MIT license. 300-ish kb .dll.

The stock System.Json namespace that is available in .NET and has better capabilities is not
available on Windows Phone.

Any other solutions/ideas/comments/thoughts?

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8064627/deserializing-json-object-with-u
nknown-fields
[2] http://json.codeplex.com/