From Filip Maj <...@adobe.com>
Subject Setting up a server for testing infrastructure
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 23:06:23 GMT
Hi list,

Couple things have happened recently that is making me wonder if Apache
can host a server that committers can have access to to deploy stuff for
testing purposes. Specifically:

- recently we had pull requests from Don Coleman, adding some error codes
to Cordova's FileTransfer API. This API enables transferring files from
Cordova clients to HTTP servers. Don's pull request adds the HTTP status
code returned from the server to the error object used in the framework
code. One contribution from Don is to the Cordova test suite, which tests
this functionality. However, to do so, we need to host an HTTP server
somewhere to enable end-to-end testing. Currently the code in Don's
contribution communicates with a nodejitsu app he deployed to some URL
[1]. We could use a lot more of this sort of testing in this project. We
*could* force users of the test suite to host this server locally on their
machine to do testing. In my opinion this is not the best approach, adding
dependencies and whatnot to do test runs. If Apache would/could host this,
I think a few things would need to be done here. First, the test server
code would need to come under the Apache umbrella (I think). Second, and I
may be wrong on this, but the server would need to be on Apache infra.
- another thing I've been working on is aggregating test suite results to
a server. This way we can keep track of the test suite results across
different platforms, across cordova versions, and get a better sense of
where issues exist. If Apache could host something like this, that would
be awesome. I have been working in a "sweeper" branch of the test suite
[2] that deploys this instance to one of _my_ jitsu instances. It's just
an idea I'm working on on my personal fork, but getting this into the
mainline eventually, I think, would be rad.

Maybe more of a question for mentors. Is something like this doable? Am I
overthinking this?

[1]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-cordova-mobile-spec/pull/6/files#L0R4
[2] https://github.com/filmaj/incubator-cordova-mobile-spec/tree/sweeper