From Filip Maj <...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: CordovaWebView meeting
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 17:02:03 GMT
Joe, Simon, Bryce,

Thanks for taking the time to talk about outstanding issues with
CordovaWebView. To recap, here are new todos introduced by our meeting:

- add cordovainterface to tests that are now failing due to introducing
requirement of cordovainterface
- remove preferencenode/set and cordovaexception classes
- add any missing tests (Joe/Bryce please elaborate on this once the issue
lands)
- document changes, esp. running tests (Joe, please prioritize this one
once it lands)
- double check fullscreen and background color preferences

I will drop these as issues into JIRA under the parent CordovaWebView
issue [1].

Another concern Bryce and Simon had was overriding the show/hide web view
functionality. I mentioned on the call that iOS already does something
similar (Shaz if you can provide details here that would be appreciated).
Essentially: giving power back to user on when the web view should be
unhidden (or hiding the splash screen) as there may be other assets
(jquery mobile, for example) that add to the web view initialization time.
I think this is a cross-platform concern as well. Coming up with a
solution for this issue on Android is a first step, but I think we should
also loop back with the iOS implementation, and possibly research how/what
other platforms offer for this functionality, and abstract away the
platform specifics for our users.

Finally, from Adobe's side, we would love to see this land in 1.8.
Realistically for this to happen, to me this means it must get merged in
before we tag the RC for 1.8.

Please add anything I've missed.

Cheers,
Fil

On 5/15/12 8:56 AM, "Filip Maj" <fil@adobe.com> wrote:

> [...]
>framework/src/org/apache/cordova/DroidGap.java:254:        // TODO @bc -
>What about fullscreen?
>framework/src/org/apache/cordova/DroidGap.java:340:        // TODO @bc -
>background color doesn't work
>

>I can talk about the top one (the App plugin's "show" action).
>
>Essentially, it was to fix a specific issue, during the JavaScript boot up
>for Android, there was a call to prompt() that would tell the native
>framework to show the web view. I have instead changed that to route via
>exec(), and thus added an additional action to the App plugin to
>encapsulate that functionality. A commit in the js [2] introduced this. We
>just have to get the latest cordova-js dropped in and that should work
>out. The reason for this is procedure, we want to keep reusing the same
>mechanism to talk to native (I.e. Exec()) instead of using exec for
>certain cases and the underlying mechanism for exec() in others. Also, for
>emulation tools such as Ripple, changing this to an exec() call gets rid
>of an annoying prompt if you are emulating Android.
>
>Other than that I think everything is OK. Pull in latest cordova-js and we
>should be golden.
>
>Bryce/Simon are there any other questions other than the three I've
>identified above?
>
>[1]
>https://github.com/apache/incubator-cordova-android/compare/master...Cordo
>aWebView
>[2]
>http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cordova-js.git;a=blobdi
>f;f=lib/android/platform.js;h=afab8e11899eb1f560a630539d470535e24f0914;hp=
>7
>c38206f2f7d1be755236859df23e6b57a61c7e7;hb=9a080cc2704171a4169739b2c94ca55
>4
>27b92f93;hpb=71d806e61e5240ccf9f6299500741b68ea9c5d3d
>
>On 5/14/12 9:58 PM, "Joe Bowser" <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I think we have a different idea of what merge nightmare is, since it
>>didn't look that bad.  That being said, there's a lot of code that was
>>changed to the old pre-cordova-js way of doing things.  Are you sure your
>>repo is up to date with the master?  I've been doing merge commits on the
>>CordovaWebView branch the whole time, so there shouldn't be a huge
>>difference between master and the branch.  Also, I'm seeing stuff in your
>>tree that I haven't seen since before the cordovajs change.  Fil, can you
>>look at the diffs and make sure that I'm not just seeing things?
>>
>>Finally, can we please decide on a format? Are we using tabs or spaces in
>>Java files, and how many spaces.  I thought we settled this a while ago
>>with spaces, but I'm not sure, and these commits look weird.  I'm certain
>>that I'm doing something different than other people again with my "Death
>>to Tabs" kick.
>>
>>On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Bryce Curtis
>><curtis.bryce@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I've pushed changes to CordovaWebView branch.  Hopefully I didn't mess

with Simon and
>>>have
for your
>>>review.