From Andrew Lunny <alu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: API function: Open url in system web browser
Date Thu, 17 May 2012 22:12:44 GMT
Why would a new API be overkill for something tons of apps and users
need? Here are some representative threads from PG Build about users
wanting this kind of API:

http://community.phonegap.com/nitobi/topics/external_links_outside_webview
http://community.phonegap.com/nitobi/topics/iframes_open_in_safari_in_ios
http://community.phonegap.com/nitobi/topics/why_app_opens_in_external_widow
http://community.phonegap.com/nitobi/topics/opening_native_browser_programmatically_with_phonegap_build
http://community.phonegap.com/nitobi/topics/js_opening_links_methods_and_config_xml_access_tag

I realize a few of those were started by the same user, but there are lots
of me-toos and responses.

-1 on clobbering window.open. window.open takes 3 parameters, two of which
are invalid for this use case, and lacks a callback parameter (for example,
if the user is prompted with a choice of browsers on an Android device and
declines to open the link entirely).