From Michael Brooks <mich...@michaelbrooks.ca>
Subject Cordova BlackBerry WebWorks SDKs (5.0 / 6.0 / 7.0 / 10 / PlayBook)
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 22:12:06 GMT
Hello guys,

Two weeks ago, Fil and I were attended the BlackBerry 10 Jam conference,
which unveiled the BlackBerry 10 platform. We had plenty of time to hang
out and code with some of the RIM WebWorks guys, including Gord Tanner, Dan
Silivestru, Laurent Hasson, and Ken Wallis from this mailing list. For us,
one of the most important nuggets of information was around the current
state and plans of the WebWorks platform.

# WebWorks Background

As we know, WebWorks has many faces... not unlike Cordova. Currently,
WebWorks is summed up as follows:

- WebWorks Java supports BlackBerry 5.0 / 6.0 / 7.0
- WebWorks Air supports BlackBerry Playbook / 10
- WebWorks QNX (C++) supports BlackBerry Playbook / 10

# Future of Webworks

In the future, we will likely see Air support deprecated and an emphasis on
the QNX platform. This means that in the near future, we will be creating a
"cordova-blackberry-webworks-qnx" repository to support modern BlackBerry
devices. However, in the short-term we can gain full support with the Air
implementation!

# Cordova BlackBerry WebWorks

When we first added Air support to "cordova-blackberry-webworks," we
decided to include it in the existing repository instead of starting (yet
another) project. The main reason for this was that both platforms shared
the same JavaScript and a single repository helped cutdown on
the maintenance. However, now we have cordova-js (yay!) and
"cordova-blackberry-webworks" is now housing two completely different
projects. For the most part, even the contributors to Java and Air do not
overlap.

# Cordova BlackBerry WebWorks Proposal

Fil and I would like to propose separating the Java and Air
implementations. This will also help prepare us for the QNX implementation.

The proposed repositories are:

- cordova-blackberry-webworks
- cordova-blackberry-webworks-air (must be created)

After Apache graduation, we can rename the repositories to:

- cordova-blackberry-webworks-java
- cordova-blackberry-webworks-air

Please discussion!
Michael