From "Julien Bouquillon [revolunet]" <jul...@revolunet.com>
Subject Re: why apache cordova keep Polling and XHR two ways to fetch data?
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 08:33:18 GMT
Have you take a look at how linkedin implemented the native to webview
bridge ?
http://engineering.linkedin.com/mobile/linkedin-ipad-nativeweb-messaging-bridge-and-websockets

They use a websocket which is must faster. This wont work on all androids
but could improve performance on new devices

Julien

2012/5/11 Bryce Curtis <curtis.bryce@gmail.com>

> I believe XHR is faster response on average and lower overhead than
> polling.  I would expect addJavascriptInterface to be faster than
> prompt.  If someone wants to write a test case for each, then we can
> try it ourselves and provide results to a wiki page to quantify it
> once and for all (or until the next Android version).
>
> My bet is that the optimal case would be to use loadUrl("javascript:")
> for Java->JS and addJavascriptInterface for JS->Java.  Of course the
> problem with loadUrl("javascript:") is that it steals focus - though I
> remember reading somewhere that someone implied they found a solution
> - don't know what it was.
>
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Anis KADRI <anis.kadri@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I do however it's not exactly formalized. I just played around with it
> when
> > I was working on the couchdb plugin for android and did some testing. I
> can
> > put something together though. I think the main issue is not if it is
> > faster or not but rather if it breaks on devices (other than the 2.3
> > emulator) which I seriously doubt.
> >
> > On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Do you have proof that addJavascriptInterface is faster despite the fact
> >> that we're not using WebView.loadUrl?  I seriously think we're missing a
> >> large part of the picture if we don't account for that.

VAN