From "Julien Bouquillon [revolunet]" <jul...@revolunet.com>
Subject Re: remote platform
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 16:49:49 GMT
> From what I've seen so far, I think this could be interesting.  But I don't
> have the complete picture in my head yet.  Could you give us a use case?
>  Describe why you want to do this, what's happening on the mobile device
> and the desktop device when this "remote" capability is enabled.

This is a different approach from other debug tools.
Say im developing a mobile app which need to access
navigator.camera.getPicture .
For the moment, my only solution is to run the whole app on the device
directly, within a phonegap app, its a long process, and not so easy to
debug.

With remote-cordova, i can run the app in chrome, call the
remote navigator.camera.getPicture through socket.io, and get all the
callbacks in my desktop browser. which is nice because i can set
breakpoints, and see REAL DATA and errors from my phone; Its also a very
fast process

I'm just interested in debug right now, but the tool can also be used to
control/receive input from remote devices (think remote controls,
videogames...)

Covering the device APIs is not going to work - how would you cover some
> rando 3rd party plugin?

yes the plugins (childbrowser...)  is something im stuck with. the device
native app should be built with the plugin.

I think the story would be a "remote" platform that you used on the
> desktop, with the exec() which funnels to the device.  Then you write some
> JS code for the device which catches those messages, and just calls the
> device's exec() with them, sends the responses back to the desktop.

Ok thanks Patrick; Im going to rewrite my code in this direction.

I have to look at dnode as Bryan pointed out. I may learn a lot from this
project and it looks to fit quite well : remote exec, calls serialization...

We would love some help building up a better testing/emulation layer for
> cordova

Is ripple is supposed to use real device datas ?
I dont know this project much yet but im going to look at it now.
Tell me how the two approachs can work together ?

thanks for comments

Julien