From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Default Enable Plugins
Date Tue, 08 May 2012 04:52:08 GMT
After reading Simon's response, and thinking about this a bit more, I'm
going to have to agree with him.  I think that it would be trivial for this
to be added to PhoneGap Build without us adding this method to Cordova.

There's also the fact that this method is deprecated in Android in favour
of WebSettings.setPluginState.

The fact is that I have no idea what plugins the phone has, how they access
memory and whether that adds additional risks to a PhoneGap or Cordova
application. The Flash Player, for example, could store all the data
centrally on the phone, and that data might be able to be accessed in the
browser by another app that has nothing to do with the original app (I hope
that this wouldn't happen, but I haven't met anyone from the Flash team yet
who knows about this).  Given the fact that plugins are shared across every
WebView on the device, there's no way that I'd be for enabling this by
default, since one of our users could upgrade Cordova and end up with a
nasty surprise because a phone manufacturer added a special plugin that was
insecure as a "feature".

If you don't believe me, you should spend more time reading logcat on your
phone.  You'll be surprised the messed up crap that is logged there.

Joe