From Shazron <shaz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: API function: Open url in system web browser
Date Sun, 20 May 2012 04:37:13 GMT
Jesse, I understand the problem, I know what Brian is asking, I'm
afraid no one does understand with regards to the two request problem.
I was afraid someone would "go there" and suggest to compromise the
whitelist. This is a security problem if we allow any url with
_cordova-target= to circumvent the whitelist check, think about it -
it's a big hole.

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Jesse <purplecabbage@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shaz: I believe Brian is proposing you look for urls
> containing _cordova-target= before rejecting them via the whitelist.
>
> IMHO: The discussed solutions resolve to the same thing, it is just a
> semantics discussion.
>
> Given the following html placed in the document by the developer:
>
> Providing a new API means the link becomes (or something similar):
> gap://app/openExtUrl/http%3A%2F%2Fsomwhere.com
>
> Brian's proposal means the link becomes :
> http://somwhere.com&_cordova-target=blank
>
> So either native code has to watch for links with '_cordova-target=' or
> just handle another cordova command.
>
> Both solutions require re-writing urls on page load, or on dom change.
>
> Andrew's earlier suggestion added a document level click handler that would
> determine if the clicked item was an <a> and do the right thing based on
> it's attributes, which I think has some merit in that it handles dynamic
> content, and it doesn't modify it, it just observes it.
>
> I will be thinking more on this and adding my recommendation in a while ...
>

> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No. Read it again, especially the two request part. For urls NOT in
>> the whitelist, the first request will be rejected by the whitelist. It
>> won't work.
>>
>> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:
>> > Ok, so read that, its referring to the target attribute but it looks
>> > like you can check stil check for a url parameter on an NSURLRequest
>> > [1].
>> >

>> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Cocoa/Reference/Foundation/Classes/NSURLProtocol_Class/Reference/Reference.html
>> >
>> > So what I'm proposing is this: cordovajs walks the dom finding all
>> > anchors with a target attribute and adds something like this to the
>> > href:

>> > Then, when clicked, touched, whatever, you capture if the URL
>> > parameter named _cordova-target exists. If it does, spawn browser.
>> >
>> > Dynamic links would be missed. I think thats an ok/fair quirk. If
>> > wanted to be aggressive we *could* watch for dom mutation events and
>> > solve that too tho I suspect it would not help performance!

>> in

API,