From Shazron <shaz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [iOS] Going ARC
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 21:32:51 GMT
Resurrecting this. My latest comment (duped below):
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-274?focusedCommentId=13272771&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13272771

-----------
D'oh - we can't have dual support of course, since this is compile
time and we ship a built binary for the framework. We'll have to turn
it on, and require ARC. The problem is, all the plugins will need to
upgrade as well.

This then becomes a communication issue that we will need to send to
devs ahead of time. We can push this to 2.0 but we must have an
extended RC period to iron out the bugs, but we can start blogging
about this change now.

If are to push it to now (1.8.0) my suggestion is to exclude ARC for
CDVPlugin, and instruct users how to exclude ARC for their plugin
files: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6448874/disable-automatic-reference-counting-for-some-files
- this way there is a transition. We can also print out warnings in
the console.log about the migration to ARC.

Shaz