From Shazron <shaz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: API function: Open url in system web browser
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 18:34:13 GMT
I know the jira issue is mind-numbingly boring and everything but
please read at least my first comment in the issue. It details
*exactly* why "walking the dom and adding a param" won't work, because
of the two step process when a target attribute is set, especially if
it's an external url not in the whitelist (which will get rejected in
the first step), which we are trying to solve with loadUrl.

Besides your method will not work with dynamically generated urls but
Andrew has already proposed a solution, which will need to call
loadUrl anyway - again, iOS the bad guy here as detailed above.

There's no question we need an "explicit" way for users to call this
without implicit hackery which iOS is "trying" to do behind the
scenes, and failing. I realize web API purity is your goal here but it
won't work with how iOS handles this.

Android has this undocumented API which we need to document anyway,
all we need is iOS to support it.

+1 for loadUrl as spec'ed already by Android.

Shaz