From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: API addition: application version
Date Tue, 08 May 2012 12:00:48 GMT
On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:

> // i'd like something like this...
> require('cordova').platform(function(platform) {
> })

Do we really need to make this async?  The only upside to async is that we
can request the information lazily.

On the original bug, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-635 , I also
proposed using the widget interface for this, so am generally in favor of
that approach.

I also wondered whether we'd need/want to make a distinction between a
version number stamped in an app's .xml file and the version number that
the operating system knows about, which may be different.  Will folks ever
need the actual version registered with the native app, for purposes of
upgrading, or registering with some service or anything?

I think I'm tempted to say the following, w/r/t the last paragraph:
"Cordova provides a way for you to version your app in the .xml file, and
retrieve that value at runtime.  If you need access to the native
application's version identification information, you'll need to use a
plugin, and we don't provide one shipped with the runtime."  But only if
the native version information really isn't needed by anyone.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org