From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: remote platform
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 16:29:20 GMT
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Julien Bouquillon [revolunet] <
julien@revolunet.com> wrote:

> Im planning to add a new tool for phonegap debugging : "remote platform"
>
> The idea is to have the phonegap API available right in a desktop browser,
> but phonegap API calls are relayed to a real remote device through
> socket.io

>From what I've seen so far, I think this could be interesting.  But I don't
have the complete picture in my head yet.  Could you give us a use case?
 Describe why you want to do this, what's happening on the mobile device
and the desktop device when this "remote" capability is enabled.

> Ive made a quick POC and it works pretty well but its not yet integrated
> correctly in the new cordova-js code structure (platform)
> i cover most of simple APIs, its easy because its all callbacks. For the
> 'device' and 'connection' they're just 'relayed' on connection.
> POC : http://github.com/revolunet/remote-cordova

Covering the device APIs is not going to work - how would you cover some
rando 3rd party plugin?

You want to hook exec() I think, and have ALL the plugin interaction
funneled, at a generic level, between the device and desktop.

 - As @pmuellr pointed, i should create a new cordova platform named
> "remote" that could be used on the desktop browser.
>  - But where should i code the call interception and callbacks forwarding
> in the device code ? Id like to have android/iOS support at first.

I think the story would be a "remote" platform that you used on the
desktop, with the exec() which funnels to the device.  Then you write some
JS code for the device which catches those messages, and just calls the
device's exec() with them, sends the responses back to the desktop.

But I don't know exactly what you're going for here.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org