From Filip Maj <...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: ContactField
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2012 22:04:38 GMT
Looks to me like Android assumes a string for a phone number's "value"
property [1].

BlackBerry uses WebWorks' PIM javascript API which I think handles
number/string conversion on its own, but the API reference says phone
numbers are supposed to be strings [2].

Looks to me like WP7 assumes strings as well [3] (where the ContactField
generic object has value properties of type string). Also the WP7 SDK
native example documentation [4] clearly assigns strings to phone numbers.

Finally: the W3C spec of the contacts API says that phone numbers should
be an array of ContactField objects, and the ContactField object's value
property is always a string [5].

I say: force people to use a string. There's a lot of stuff in there too
that can't be mapped as a number. What if you have a dash, a space, a #,
parentheses for area codes, etc.

We could easily coerce everything passed into Contact Field values as
strings (as per your suggestion).

[1]
https://github.com/apache/incubator-cordova-android/blob/master/framework/s
rc/org/apache/cordova/ContactAccessorSdk5.java#L1355
[2]
https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/apis/blackberry.pim.Contact.html#
homePhone
[3]