From Filip Maj <>
Subject Re: Better Splash Screen?
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 16:32:23 GMT

>Woah, hold up:
>"The only downside is the dialog does not fully cover the screen."
>Not in a spot to test this yet but how much is covered / how big is
>the visual change?
>If its at all different would we not want to deprecate the old
>functionality and warn of the new behavior?
>Final thought, perhaps we could consider axing splash screens
>altogether. It kinda should be handled by the client code and not the
>native side, imo.

Although I agree with you on this point, the native implementations are
not a point yet where client HTML can handle this properly - we already
have a few "white flash / black flash" issues filed with the native impls
not showing the splash screen early enough / hiding it too early causing

Even BB webworks does something like show an image until the web view
boots up (under the hood).

>On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Joe Bowser <> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Simon MacDonald
>> <>wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>> I did a bit of a refactor on the Android splash screen. I didn't like
>>> fact that when you do a:
>>> *super*.setIntegerProperty("splashscreen", R.drawable.*splash)*;
>>> *super*.loadUrl("file:///android_asset/www/conn.html", 5000);
>>> The splash screen is shown for 5 seconds then the web view begins to
>>> the page. That is, the splash screen is a blocking call.
>>> I believe I've made this better by changing the way we display the
>>> screen to a dialog box. This way the web view underneath the dialog can
>>> continue to load the web page while splash screen is being displayed.
>>> Additionally, I've added a splash screen plugin to Android so you can
>>> it's hide method to make the splash screen go away in your
>>> handler. For developers using our API I haven't changed the way the
>>> screen is setup so they won't be required to change their code. The
>>> downside is the dialog does not fully cover the screen.
>>> Here is the commit:
>>> Comments? Is this something I should push into the Android repo for
>>> Can we hook something in the common JS so folks can call hide on the
>>> screen plugin on Android and iOS?
>> Looks good, and it solves a problem that we've been having with the way
>> do splashscreens.  We may need to add exception handling for the plugin
>> people do something stupid like use it with a CordovaWebView, but other
>> than that it looks good and is much easier to read than the current
>> Please push this into the Android repo for 1.8.  Let me know if there's
>> problems merging it with the CordovaWebView branch.
>> Joe

View raw message