From Andrew Lunny <alu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CommandLine Tooling Design
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 22:21:34 GMT
Thanks for writing this up Pat.

I think the best way for us to approach command-line tooling is to be
laser-focused on individual problems. For example, I worked on the
pluginstall tool to solve a very specific problem - programmatically
installing plugins into Cordova projects, which can involve touching
manifest files, modifying xcodeproj files, adding assets to www
directories, and so forth. It's not complete by any means, but it's already
been very useful for us at PG Build.

What are the biggest problems that people writing Cordova apps face? Which
of these can we solve with CLI tooling?

One of the biggest problem I've seen on the mailing list and
community.phonegap.com (which has a lot of Cordova questions, not just PGB)
is getting an iOS project started - the www directory going missing, and
the weirdo ARC checkbox that makes everything break, and so forth. It might
be best to bite off a small problem like that - how do we make creating
Cordova iOS projects super easy? - rather than going after everything at
once.

Andrew