From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Better Splash Screen?
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:38:20 GMT
On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Simon MacDonald <simon.macdonald@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Okay, conf call done. Lemme catch up on this thread.
>
> @Joe - I didn't want to use an ImageView as then we'd have to get into

starting a new activity and all the other fun that entails.

Not necessarily. There are two approaches that you can take to avoid
activities, but really only one good one.

1. Change LinearLayoutKeyboardDetect to FrameLayoutKeyboardDetect.  This
would cause any view to be overlayed over the other view.  You can then
overlay the ImageView over the WebView then either remove the view or set
the visibility on the view.  I had to do this when working on an Android Ad
SDK
2. Use the AbsoluteLayout properties of the WebView to put the ImageView on
the WebView itself.  Don't do this.

I understand the business requirement for Splash Screens since there's
branding that companies want on that page.  Back when we directly hooked up
Java objects to the WebView, I thought it was extremely stupid because we
loaded so fast.  These days, I think there's more value.  But I'm pretty
much repeating what everyone eles has said.