From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Better Splash Screen?
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:21:19 GMT
On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Simon MacDonald
<simon.macdonald@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I did a bit of a refactor on the Android splash screen. I didn't like the
> fact that when you do a:
>
> *super*.setIntegerProperty("splashscreen", R.drawable.*splash)*;
>
> *super*.loadUrl("file:///android_asset/www/conn.html", 5000);
> The splash screen is shown for 5 seconds then the web view begins to load
> the page. That is, the splash screen is a blocking call.
>
> I believe I've made this better by changing the way we display the splash
> screen to a dialog box. This way the web view underneath the dialog can
> continue to load the web page while splash screen is being displayed.
> Additionally, I've added a splash screen plugin to Android so you can call
> it's hide method to make the splash screen go away in your onDeviceReady
> handler. For developers using our API I haven't changed the way the splash
> screen is setup so they won't be required to change their code. The only
> downside is the dialog does not fully cover the screen.
>
> Here is the commit:
>

> https://github.com/macdonst/cordova-android/commit/d359eaf4534dc0eed91cdac7e9e0bd23ab36bc46
>
> Comments? Is this something I should push into the Android repo for 1.8?
> Can we hook something in the common JS so folks can call hide on the splash
> screen plugin on Android and iOS?

Looks good, and it solves a problem that we've been having with the way we
do splashscreens.  We may need to add exception handling for the plugin if
people do something stupid like use it with a CordovaWebView, but other
than that it looks good and is much easier to read than the current code.
Please push this into the Android repo for 1.8.  Let me know if there's
problems merging it with the CordovaWebView branch.

Joe