From Joe Bowser <>
Subject Re: [Android] Back Key events and Reality
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 17:58:57 GMT
OK, I just went through Mobile Spec's manual tests on the following devices:

Galaxy Nexus
Nexus S
Motorola RAZR
Samsung Galaxy S2
LG Optimus One

Currently, if you don't override the back button, the backPressed event
fires on the keyDown.  If we override the event, the backbutton doesn't
work on the keydown, but the event fires on the keyup instead.  This I
think is the proper behaviour since we're intercepting the back button and
making it the users' responsibility to handle this event.

The old method had the default behaviour for the back button (where it
quits on keydown) occur, as well as the keyUp behaviour happen.  Of course,
since the app is exited and is in the background whatever happens with the
back button at that point is moot.  The fact is that I expect the back
button to work when I press it, and I don't consciously think about key up
or key down when I do so.  I also think that Google put it on keydown for a
reason, especially since it's not really a key anymore.