From Simon MacDonald <simon.macdon...@gmail.com>
Subject Better Splash Screen?
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:40:19 GMT
Hey,

I did a bit of a refactor on the Android splash screen. I didn't like the
fact that when you do a:

*super*.setIntegerProperty("splashscreen", R.drawable.*splash)*;

*super*.loadUrl("file:///android_asset/www/conn.html", 5000);
The splash screen is shown for 5 seconds then the web view begins to load
the page. That is, the splash screen is a blocking call.

I believe I've made this better by changing the way we display the splash
screen to a dialog box. This way the web view underneath the dialog can
continue to load the web page while splash screen is being displayed.
Additionally, I've added a splash screen plugin to Android so you can call
it's hide method to make the splash screen go away in your onDeviceReady
handler. For developers using our API I haven't changed the way the splash
screen is setup so they won't be required to change their code. The only
downside is the dialog does not fully cover the screen.

Here is the commit:

https://github.com/macdonst/cordova-android/commit/d359eaf4534dc0eed91cdac7e9e0bd23ab36bc46

Comments? Is this something I should push into the Android repo for 1.8?
Can we hook something in the common JS so folks can call hide on the splash
screen plugin on Android and iOS?

Simon Mac Donald
http://hi.im/simonmacdonald