From Simon MacDonald <simon.macdon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Android] Back Key events and Reality
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 19:47:44 GMT
Okay, that's cool. We now know it isn't a manufacturer quirk it is an
environment quirk.

It's not actually an inheritance problem. The order of methods being called
ends up being:

onKeyDown
onKeyUp
onBackPressed

However, if your Activity overrides onKeyUp and it does not caller
super.onKeyUp() when it is handling the back key the method onBackPressed()
will never be called. It is the super.onKeyUp() that calls onBackPressed().
That was what was going on when I was using your back key changes.

Simon Mac Donald
http://hi.im/simonmacdonald

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, here's what happened.
>
> When I currently work on Cordova, I run the project as an activity, and not
> as a jar.  This is done for convenience because I've had jars lose sync
> with the code that I'm debugging in Eclipse in the past.  However, what
> this means is that I don't have a working back button.
>
> Activity has a default behaviour for the back button.  This default
> behaviour is defined by onBackPressed and onKeyDown when you extend an
> activity, which is of course that the application would exit.  Therefore,
> one would assume that since any class that uses the jar extends DroidGap
> and that since DroidGap is extending Activity that the class would extend
> Activity by virtue of it being a DroidGap class.
>
> In reality this is wrong, and somehow through some voodoo the onKeyUp event
> work even though it shouldn't because the App should have ran the
> Activity's onKeyDown and onBackPressed.
>
> In short, I have to use the bin/create scripts because Java inheritance
> doesn't seem to work the way I thought it should.
>
> Joe
>
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Simon MacDonald <
> simon.macdonald@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> > That's ominous.
> >
> > Simon Mac Donald
> > http://hi.im/simonmacdonald
> >

> > On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > OK, let's revert the changes.  It looks like I'm going to have to
> change
> > > how I work on this project.

> the
> > were
> > removed
> > > it
> got

> > > KEYCODE_BACK

> > > Galaxy

> > > action:
> org.apache.cordova/org.apache.cordova.StandAlone

> > > screen

> this
> > backHistory
> exit.